Add to My Yahoo!


-
By Logan Hawkes

For many, especially the first time RVer, dealing with a tank of flammable liquid gas can be an unsettling thought as you're about to hit the road with the family. And for good reason! Handled improperly and unchecked, the LP system of an RV can be a hazard.

Even seasoned RVers know that caring for not only your RV tank but the entire LP system is an important part of properly maintaining a safe vehicle. Review the following general guidelines for the care and operation of your LP system and be better prepared to know what and how to do what you need to do to be safe and secure - and rest a little easier.


1.  Don't fill your LP-gas container to above the maximum safe level as indicated by the scale or the fixed liquid gauge. Don't use the visible gauge for filling. Remember, only qualified persons should fill your LP gas container.

2.   Do not use a wrench or pliers to close the service valve. The valve is designed to be closed leak tight, by hand. If wrenches are necessary to close valve, the valve needs replacement or repair.

3.   When opening the valve, slowly open the valve all the way. Listen to the regulator. A continuous hiss may indicate a leak or open valve on appliance.

      LP gas is non corrosive. You need not worry about the inside of the tank. However, the outside should be kept free from rust by a periodic coat of paint, in a light color. Have the system leak checked, on an annual basis.

      Do not attempt to repair any valves, regulators or appliances by yourself. Use only trained, certified LP gas service personnel to perform repairs. Practice safety at all times. If you have questions bout the operation of your appliance or LP gas systems, contact your local dealer.

Filling Your LP Gas Tank

Only qualified persons should fill your LP Gas tank.

CAUTION - OVERFILL IS HAZARDOUS. Do not allow your LP Gas

container to be over filled. Fill should stop when liquid appears at the fixed liquid gauge (liquid release screw). Bleed off excessive propane in a safe, well vented area.

Your LPG tank is equipped with a 80% fill valve, leaving 20% for expansion. Propane expands approximately 1.5% for each 10° F rise. Although the tank is equipped with an automatic 80% fill valve, this does not alleviate the fill operators responsibility of using the 80% fixed liquid outage valve.

If overfilled, excessive pressure could develop within the container causing the relief valve to open, relieving excess pressure. LP Gas released through the relief valve is FLAMMABLE.

Practice Safety at All Times. If you have any questions about proper filling procedures, contact your local LP Gas dealer.


Gel Cell Battery Maintenance
For proper maintenance on the gel cell batteries:

DO's:
      Charge battery to full charge after every full or partial use.

      Charge battery through the converter or on an approved deep cycle charger at a rate, not higher than 14.8 volts.

      Refer to owners manual for proper operation of the battery disconnect switch, converter and battery systems.

      Always wear safety eye protection when inspecting/working on the battery.

      Recycle expired battery at a proper depot.

DO NOT's:
      Do not allow battery to remain in a discharged state after use.

      Do not try to open battery, add fluids or other chemicals. The battery is non-serviceable.

      Do not hook up any direct power draws.

      Do not over tighten battery terminals.


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter